Cbd Oil For Dogs With Senior Dog Dementia
Most people are not aware that dogs can develop dementia too. Your pet can suffer from senior dog dementia. This short read will provide you with more information about this condition.
What is Senior Dog Dementia?
Senior dog dementia is also known as Cognitive Canine Dysfunction or CCD. It is an age-related neurobehavioral syndrome. This leads to a failure in the dog’s cognitive function.
This disorder is similar to Alzheimer’s disease in humans. The cause of the disease is still unknown. The accumulation of sticky proteins (beta-amyloid plaques) around the neurons that leads to neurofibrillary tangles is considered a leading cause.
CCD is a progressive disease. Dogs that show one or two signs of CCD will likely develop more symptoms within 12 months. Bigger dog breeds are known to age faster. They may develop CCD as early as 5 to 7 years of age.
The following are four types of CCD:
- Confusional syndrome- This is where a major degeneration in cognitive function occurs.
- Dysthymia- This type makes the dog disoriented, confused, and even loss consciousness or awareness of the body.
- Hyper-aggressiveness- This type of CCD involves the serotonin levels in the dog’s brain. Serotonin is known as the “happy hormone”. This type results in an aggressive dog.
- Involutive depression- This is similar to chronic depression in humans. This results from stress and anxiety.
Symptoms of Senior Dog Dementia
There is an acronym that categorizes the symptoms of Senior dog dementia. This is the acronym “DISHA”.
- Disorientation- Symptoms in this category include getting lost in familiar surroundings, staring into space and getting stuck under the table or in corners. Dogs may seem confused all the time or bark at nothing. Sometimes the dog will also have anxiety.
- Interactions- The dog cannot maintain healthy relationships with other pets and even to their owner. The dog may show hyper aggressiveness or decreased affection. Irritability and Grumpiness are also in this category.
- Sleep-Wake Cycle- The dogs doesn’t have a regular sleep pattern. They may be restless and unsettled in the evenings. Some dogs may be up all night and sleep all day.
- Housetraining- The dog may forget his housetraining. They start creating a mess inside the house, defecate or urinate inside the house. They also lack response to any commands and are unable to perform tasks.
- Activity- They lack appetite and start pacing. They also wander aimlessly. Some dogs also develop Obsessive- Compulsive Behavior wherein they lick the floors.
Stages of Senior Dog Dementia
The stages of CCD progresses rapidly. Dogs that were initially diagnosed with Mild CCD progressed to Moderate in 5-6 months.
Stage 1 (Mild stage)
The main problems the manifest during this stage include slight changes in social interaction and changes in their sleep patterns. The dog will sleep more in the daytime than usual.
Stage 2 (Moderate stage)
During this stage, dogs may show forgetfulness about their housetraining. They are also often hyperactive in the night.
Dogs in their mild stage of CCD need more care than usual as they show a lot of behavioral changes.
Stage 3 (Severe stage)
Severe stage is when the dogs show major signs in the different categories of symptoms (DISHA).
They are barking much in the night time. They also lack response to the owner and other family members.
How to prevent senior dog dementia?
To delay the onset of CCD or prevent it altogether, have the dog on a complete, vital, whole foods and healthy diet. Raw food diet is one of the best. In much older dogs wherein their digestive fires are burning low, you can give them home cooked dog meals.
Adding some diet supplements also helps. The following are some supplements that can help:
- High quality Omega-3 oils
- Vital antioxidants such as blueberries and green tea steeped in water
- Gotu Kola
- Valerian Root
- Ginko Biloba
- B vitamins
Giving the dog enough affection can also help prevent CCD. Enrichment and gentle exercises also helps. Do some activities with your dog like gentle training sessions and simple games.
Doing activities with your dog also stimulates their mind. This also helps prevent them from experiencing stress and anxiety that can lead to CCD.
Natural Remedies for Senior Dog Dementia
There are many ways to teat Senior Dog Dementia. It can be through conventional medication or natural remedies. The following are some natural treatments for CCD.
Turmeric golden paste
Turmeric is a plant that helps relieve symptoms of CCD. It is best to make a turmeric paste to maximize the nutrients of the plant.
Give the dog no more than 1/8 teaspoon of this paste a day. If giving it for the first time, wait for 4-5 days before giving the next one. This is to see if the dog is responsive to it or not.
Lavender essential oil
Lavender is known for its calming properties. This is helpful to dogs suffering from anxiety. Keeping the dog/s calm prevents them from being hyper-aggressive. Let the dog inhale the oil by diffusing it.
This oil is a rich source of medium chain triglycerides or MCTs. MCTs decrease the amyloid protein buildup in the brain. This also improves brain energy metabolism.
The dosage depends on the body weight of the dog. The recommended amount is ¼ teaspoon for every 10 pounds of the dog’s body weight. This is given two times a day.
Gotu Kola is an herb that grows in Asia’s wetlands. This herb improves oxygen flow to the brain. Improved flow of oxygen helps memory and improves mental awareness.
CBD or Cannabidiol oil is extracted from the Cannabis plant. This is also known as Hemp oil. This oil helps relieve CCD symptoms such as anxiety and depression.
CBD oil can be used as a preventive measure against CCD. Hemp oil also helps brain function. Hemp oil is also rich in Omega-3 and Omega-6 fatty acids. These acids contribute to brain health.
How much CBD should I give my dog with Senior Dog Dementia?
CBD oils are used in a lot of pet health conditions. This includes seizures, pain, inflammation, anxiety, depression, cancers, and dementia.
For pets with senior dog dementia, it is recommended to give 1-2 drops of hemp oil, twice a day.